16 June 2007

Musings

I have been having a weird day. Not much sleep last night. Took Alex to see "Fantastic Four" today and regretted doing so about thirty seconds into the thing...to call it awful would be lending it more credibility than it deserves.

And, as if I did not already know this, I have been reminded of how odd a place this virtual blogosphere has become. The only people who have tried to comment on my blog are men who disagree with the political and cultural links that I have included as part of the "Eudkasion and Eksersize" experience. Luckily I am moderating the comments or else there would three very ugly messages. I am not trying to censor them, but I am not providing a forum for them either.

+

I see that Forbes Magazine is at it again--quantifying power in the entertainment industry and it looks like they have recovered from last years Tom Cruise blip.
Oprah is number one.
(Duh!)
Madonna is number three.
(Very cool.)
Though how Barbara Walters merited a spot and Rosie O'Donnell didn't seems a bit peculiar...

+

Side note: Amy Winehouse recently called Madonna a "has been." Aside from the ridiculousness involved with an upstart pop star dissing a living a legend I will point out several facts that completely undo Miss Winehouse's theory.

First of all, Madonna is coming off one of the most successful albums of her career. Second, the "Confessions" tour was the most successful concert tour by a female performer in history. The woman completely destroyed previous records held by the peerless Tina Turner and others such as Cher and, well, herself. Not to mention that the tour grossed five times as much as other major acts; having played fewer dates.

Earth to other would-be critics: Madonna has been a bonafide superstar for almost twenty-five years and has gracefully moved beyond such arrows and daggers--regardless of who they are slung by. She is not a "has-been" and will no more become one than will Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger, Tina Turner, or even the late Elvis. Such people have earned permanent immunity from expulsion from the island of fame. History will always remember them for their glories, and should.

As for her career, future success or no, Madonna will decide when and how and if she exits.

Meanwhile, Amy Winehouse will find herself nothing more than a pop-cultural footnote in twenty-five years. As a result of her sacrilege I have removed Miss Winehouse from my car, my hard drive and my iPod. She was on heavy rotation too...I would return the damn cd, but it is pretty amazing and I might forgive her in the future...;-)

+

Anyway, I am going to go for a nice early evening run. I want to clear my head a bit. My return to working out has been such an amazing experience. I already see the difference in my body and, even better, I feel the difference in my soul. Cheesy, but true.

Just like me.

Peace, live for it.

Robert

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Robert,

Look, no right-wing rants to censor here! :) While I don't own any Madonna music, I have always liked many of her songs (traditionally the top 40s hits)...one song I liked that I doubt anyone has heard of is "White Heat." I think this was on the same album as "La Isla Bonita" and the such...good 80s music.

The thing that people often confuse for Madonna's "declining career" is their own inability to be shocked by her...so they think: "I've seen it all, she's no big deal anymore." That kind of opinion is irrelevant to the music she makes, and to the very, VERY loyal fans she has who don't hang on to her for shock value, but because they love her as an artist. People need to shut the &^%$ up!

Talk to you later!
-Raf